I met Lucie shortly after this and she asked if I knew what was going on. I figured that she might know but her best guess was that this had something to do with a large motorcycle race that in a town near Lille each year. We stopped one of the bikers and asked to be sure. He said that everyone there was demonstrating to gain better protection on the roads and highways, rather than for the race. So I can now say that I have seen my first French strike! I was amazed at how many people had assembled and the size of the demonstration which filled the Grand Place and spread down a couple of the surrounding streets. I didn’t know that there were so many bikers in France! Lucie and I walked around the Grand Place to see a bit more of the strike before heading down one of the streets off the Grand Place which was a little quieter to have our coffee and chat. Below are some of the photos of the strike.
A banner that was hanging on the balcony of the Théâtre du Nord, this made me think that all of the bikers were gathered for some kind of convention or something rather than a strike
Lucie talking with one of the bikers and asking him the reason that everyone is assembled
No comments:
Post a Comment